Thursday, October 11, 2012

Miyata-310 bicycle review



The majority of Miyata Bicycles, in this day and age obsolete. However the bikes were mechanically speaking, put together very well. If you are used to ‘downtube’ shifters then you will feel fine riding this amazing bike. I believe one problem however, that others have also mentioned, are the fact that even the lowest gears are not low enough to get up seriously steep hills. On the contrary, the high gears are practical for cruising speeds on flat ground, and if you’re like me, and you ride a road bike across town, you can just coast along with the perfect gear ratio from point A to point B rather quickly.

            When the Miyata bike manufacturing company opened around the time of the US bike boom era, it made bikes that competed with all national racing bike brands like Schwinn, Huffy, Raleigh, Peugeot, and Motobecane in sales and usage. These Japanese manufactured bikes were spectacular in the United States until currency fluctuations in the late 1980s. The reason many people believed these bikes were so efficient at the time was because some believed the Japanese manufacturer, Eisuke Miyata, a gunsmith employed by the Hitachi Kasama Clan, recognized the future of gun manufacturing in Japan was not strong and got the idea for this bike design after being asked by a foreigner to repair a standard conventional bikeIn doing so, he revolutionized steel frame building techniques by using tubing in a gun factory, where tubing was bored out lengthwise using a round steel rod, so in essence the inside of the metal tubing was rifled like a gun. So if you got your hands on a classic Miyata, you have yourself a piece of vintage.
            Its hard to find flaws in the Miyata bicycle because, when you are riding it, you cannot help but notice how smooth it rides on the road. Another thing you might want to know about Miyatas: They still remain one of the “finest stock touring frames ever.” So yes people still use Miyata bicycles to race with, at least the frame of the original bike, which is because it’s the only piece of the bike that time wasn’t able to make obsolete. The heck with the fiberglass frames, the Miyata’s durability proves that steel takes you farther than any other material could.

            The Miyata-310 which I own is extremely comfortable; do NOT hesitate to get it. The bike I have is currently a 10 speed with a derailer, and it is an extraordinary bike, however I plan to customize its gears and eventually make it a single speed which I have also heard is a nice combination.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review of the Miyata 310, I just picked one up from 1980 and I'm really enjoying it. I agree completely, I do find the gears to be a bit limiting. It can be a struggle up steep hills, and you can't really push hard going down hills either. It's been a joy to ride either way for me, a big difference from my other bike at the moment, a basic hybrid from Cannondale.

    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've owned my 210 since 1987.. it is a really good bike and as mentioned rides very smoothly.. well worth keeping the frame and refurbishing the rest to your hearts content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have and rode one a lot, perhaps my legs are more developed, but I can climb any hill easily in low gear, which I pretty much never use unless I'm finishing a century (100 mile ride).

    ReplyDelete